Eco Leaders are peer educators in the residence halls and Aggie Village apartments who help raise awareness about environmental, social and economic sustainability issues and encourage environmentally-responsible behaviors throughout the academic year. There is one Eco Leader per residence hall and four at Aggie Village Apartments who engages campus residents in sustainability areas such as waste reduction, energy conservation, social responsibility, sustainable transportation, recycling and composting. The Eco Leader program in the halls also has an academic component with a mandatory class each week. Eco Leaders earn credits for the course and receive a housing stipend for their engagement efforts.
Eco Leaders applications are not being accepted at this time.
Applications for the 2020-2021 academic year will open in May 2020. If you would like to be notified when applications open, please email HDS_Sustainability@colostate.edu. Thank you for your interest!
- Commit to the program for the entire academic year, both Fall and Spring semesters
- Commit 5 hours per week to peer-to-peer sustainability engagement (including door to door engagement during month-long campaigns)
- Attend a mandatory class on Thursdays from 4:00pm to 5:15pm
- Fall course: GES130: Introduction to Sustainability Engagement – one credit class
- Spring course: GES330: Sustainability in Practice – two or three credit class, requiring an independent project & poster presentation
- Participate in HDS Move In and Move Out program, occurring the week before classes begin, and after classes end in the Fall and Spring semester, respectively
- Participate in service learning and local volunteering opportunities
- Attend training in August including an overnight retreat at the CSU Mountain Campus
- Promote multiple student engagement campaigns and events concurrently throughout the year
- Gain knowledge on a variety of topics related to sustainability including social justice, the environment, and the economy
- Compensation: $1500 housing reimbursement per semester (pending successful completion of program requirements)
- Application is required.