A maintenance service request which is defined as the repair of existing components:
- Room finishes – carpet, paint, doors
- Fixtures – room or bathroom lights and plumbing fixtures, heat registers, fans, window screens, etc.
- Hardware – locks, windows, pulls, knobs, mirrors, etc.
- Furniture – wardrobes, dressers, closet doors
Services that are defined as regularly reoccurring events to ensure our facilities meet expected levels of quality.
- Systematic re-keying of locks for security and auditing
- Rooms and apartments are painted on a regular basis
- Carpeting is replaced on established cycles
- Light fixtures are cleaned and have new lamps
- Mechanical systems are in good working order to provide heating and cooling
- Bathroom facilities are clean, attractive and in good working order
- Fire alarm and security systems are tested and maintained on a scheduled basis
- Dining facilities are attractive and in good working order
The Housing Operations Maintenance group provides emergency service response beyond normal working hours in the evening, on holidays, and over weekends for urgent maintenance concerns which cannot wait until the next workday. Typical items:
- Loss of electrical power
- No heat or no hot water
- Natural gas smell
- Flooding or major leak
- Lock problems
- Broken windows with glass shards
- Appliance failure (apartment areas)
- Dining service emergencies related to equipment and or systems
- Plugged toilets or waste line blockages
Renovations and Enhancements
In addition to routine, preplanned, and emergency services Operations Management coordinates a vast network of service providers to continually maintain and improve the quality of your on-campus living experience.
Enhancements include programs such as:
- Support for student and staff groups through minor modifications to facilities.
- Minor renovations or changes to the physical environment to improve safety, security, landscaping and enhance common spaces and playgrounds. Much of this type of work is incorporated in preplanned maintenance work.
- Major repairs and renovations – partial or complete renovation of spaces and infrastructure systems (telecommunication, utility, building structures, roofs) in order to sustain and extend the life of University facilities.